Friday, April 22, 2011

KyLeR

KyLeR






What a day we had yesterday with my sweet boy!!! I have never been as proud of him as I was yesterday....having said that lets go back to tuesday.



Tuesday was a beautiful day, that was the only thing out of the ordinary:) Since it was such a nice day the boys were outside playing. When they finally came in we were sitting on the couch watching TV and Kyler says "mom what the heck is wrong with my ear?!?!" he came over to me and I looked at it, and asked him if he had hurt it or something, because it was all red and swollen at the top on the inside. He said no that he hadn't hurt it, so I told him it was fine, probably just a reaction to a bug bite or something. Adam looked at it when he got home and thought it was nothing and would go away. Well, by yesterday {thursday} it hadn't gone away and was getting rock hard, tuesday it felt like there was fluid in it. So after having numerous people look at it and say the same thing...if it was my kid Id take him in.....I called his Dr and they said to bring him in. So after school we went in to the dr. He looked at Kylers ear, felt it and asked him if he had hit his ear on anything. Kyler said well I did fall when I was playing outside and hit my ear on the rocks.......HUh?!? Remember he told me he didn't hurt his ear??? Ya well it didn't "hurt" so he failed to tell me he hit it!!! Note to self......my boys are strong beyond belief and things don't always "hurt" from now on I will be asking more in depth questions!! Believe me I asked him NUMEROUS times if he knew what might have happened...the answer was always no:) Anyway, since he had hit his ear it was apparent to the Dr that he had a hematoma and it would continue to damage his ear and he would be left with an ear like a ufc fighter, you know "cauliflower" ear.GROSS! So we were referred over to a Dr in the E.R. to drain the hematoma and refine the ear so it was normal again. My poor boy was TERRIFIED!!!! I calmed him down telling him they would numb it and he wouldn't feel a thing. and promised him ice ream and treats:) This was the beginning of our little emotional roller coaster ride!!



Kyler and I got to the ER a little before 4. There was like 2 people in the waiting room, so I thought awesome we will be outta here in no time. hahaha! Soon the triage nurse called us back, looked at his ear and said "oh that's not bad at all, we probably wont have to drain it but the dr needs to look at it" back out to the waiting room we go. RELIEF right, no draining of the ear means no needles, and quick way out......wrong! A few minutes later we get called back to the ER quiet waiting room....now I know that's just a nice name for "we stick you back here with no TV and no sick people and make you wait for HOURS" while we treat real emergencies! This is where the day turned in to a great time, weird to say at this point I know but I had Kyler all to myself, and he just layed in my arms and talked to me and it was probably the most quality time we have ever had just the 2 of us. No tv, no video games, no other kids to play with, just US. Sadly this is when the dr came in and told us they were going to have to remove the hematoma and to do that and make it easy on both Kyler and him he was going to have to put him to sleep. Kyler and I were both TERRIFIED!!! {emotional roller coaster} not only did it have to be drained, he had to be put to sleep to do it:( SO even though we were both scared, I got to cuddle and play with my sweet boy for 3 hours uninterrupted!! Around 7 we were finally put in a real room and the nurse came in and prep Kyler for the procedure, I thought we were finally on our way to being done. WRONG again. It was another hour or so before they actually put him out and started the procedure. I spent the better part of that hour trying to reassure him that he was going to be fine, while trying to convince myself of the same thing. It is a scary thing to have your baby put under, no matter what the reason is!! Thankfully Adam made it to the hospital right before they put him out or I might have lost it, which wouldn't have been good for my boy!!



It took quite a bit of medicine to get him fully out but then the proceedure only took about 10 minutes. The dr drained the hematoma, then sewed cotton to his ear to reshape it. I watched pretty much the whole thing, and it was kinda weird but also reassuring to be in there with him. When he came to he was so funny!! I havent laughed that hard in a long time!! He just kept saying the funniest things, I wish I would have had a video camera!! After a long wait to get discharged we came home, snuggled up in bed and went right to sleep!!!



Today Kyler is doing GREAT!! He has to keep his stitches in until Monday, and is rocking a sweet bandage that Im sure will get him lots of treats, but other than that he doesnt seem to be in any pain and is bugging me to take him to Applebees:) I am so happy everything turned out fine and I am thankful for the time I spent with my boy....next time it will NOT be in the ER!!!

2 comments:

Clarissa said...

FIRST...YOU BLOGGED!!! YAY!!! Second, crazy! I'm sorry you two had such a roller coaster ride. But so awesome that you were able to spend quality time together...even if it was in the waiting room of the er. Hope his ear heals quickly!!

Unknown said...

Same as Clarissa! WOW...so happy to see a blog post woman! I am glad everything turned out and he won't be getting that cauliflower ear like the doc said! And have to wear "underwear" on his head for too much longer! (haha..if u know what I mean ;) )