Sunday, March 18, 2012

Who needs a baby when you have a 10 year old who wakes up in the middle of the night almost EVERY night?!?!? I'm at my wits end here, I mean he is sweet and all, but this is getting old!! Not to mention not only does HE wake up, he wakes up Kyler and me!! Some nights he does give me a break, but not Ky, nope he wakes him up every time!! I totally understand being scared, I spent the majority of my childhood scared of my own shadow but dang it I slept!! (doesn't matter where;) For a while I thought it was because maybe with it being winter he wasn't getting enough exercise, but soccer has started and he is getting PLENTY of exercise and he is STILL waking up!! I try to be understanding, but my patience is worn out!! He doesn't seem to be having any affects from not getting enough sleep, his grades are stellar and he is a really good kid, but eventually I'm afraid not getting enough sleep will start taking its toll on him...it already has on me! so friends any ideas how to help my boy sleep through the night again?? :)

2 comments:

RR said...

My kids are horrible sleepers so take my ideas for whatever they are worth.

Most people don't sleep all night. Sleep is prompted by natural cycles of activity in the brain and consists of two basic states: rapid eye movement (REM) sleep and non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep, which consists of Stages 1 through 4.

ok I won't bore you with sleep info but anyway..here are a few ideas..

(1.)give him a IPOD/CD of music..that way he can lay in bed listening to music without bothering anyone..
(2.) some kids need melatonin..our bodies produce it to aid with sleep. it's over the counter
(3.)does he eat a high sugar diet? Some studies show caffeine of course but also processed foods/high sugars can cause sleep apnea..
(4.) can he watch a movie without waking all of you??

let me know if anything helps!

~ My 3 sOnS ~ said...

Thanks Rach! He doesnt have trouble falling asleep (usually) just has nightmares once he is asleep...we are looking into what may be causing it...like his diet! Thanks!